A personal loan for your personal needs
Check your rate in 5 minutes.
Get funded in as fast as 1 business day.²
43% lower rates as compared to a credit score-only model.³
Won't affect your credit score¹
Why choose Upstart for your online personal loan?
You're more than your credit score—Our model looks at factors such as your education⁴ and employment to help you get a rate you deserve.
Flexible loan amounts
You can get a personal loan from $1,000 to $50,000⁵.
Fixed rates and terms
Choose between personal loans in 3 or 5 year terms, with fixed rates of 4.6% - 35.99% APR.⁶
No prepayment fees
You can prepay your loan at any time with no fee or penalty.
We've helped more than 2.7 million customers⁷
Dayana was able to pay down her debt with an $8,000 personal loan through Upstart
"You have no idea what that loan did for me. Thank you Upstart for really being that light at the end of a tunnel."
How to easily apply for a personal loan online in 3 steps
Check your rate
Check your rate in minutes – without affecting your credit score.¹
Choose your loan
Select your desired personal loan amount and preferred loan term.
99% of personal loan funds are sent just 1 business day after signing²
Won't affect your credit score¹
Online personal loan FAQs
What can a personal loan be used for?The funds from a personal loan can typically be used for a variety of purposes. Personal loans are commonly used to help with debt consolidation, medical expenses, home improvement projects, student debt, a move, a wedding, or a vacation.
What is an unsecured personal loan?An unsecured personal loan is money borrowed from a lender that isn't secured by property like a house or car. While most online personal loans through Upstart are unsecured, other lenders may place a lien on other accounts you hold with them. Always review your promissory note (aka the written agreement from the lender) for these details before accepting your loan.
How fast can I get my personal loan?If you accept your loan before 5 p.m. ET Monday - Friday, your funds will be transferred the next business day. If you accept the online loan after that time period, the funds will be transferred the following business day.
For personal loans being used for education-related purposes, it'll be an additional 3 business days in accordance with federal law.
How much can I borrow with a personal loan?You can borrow between $1,000 and $50,000⁵ on a personal loan. Note that certain states have specific minimum loan amounts. The exact amount you may borrow depends on what you qualify for based on your application information.
Can I get a loan with bad credit or no credit?It's possible. Some lenders and lending platforms provide personal loans for bad credit or no credit at all. Different lenders have different minimum credit requirements for their personal loans. At Upstart, our model considers other factors such as your education⁴ and employment in addition to your financial background. It's important to remember that while you may qualify for a personal loan with low credit, your loan may come with higher interest rates.
If I check my personal loan rate, will it impact my credit?It will not. When you check your rate, we make a soft credit inquiry on your report, which doesn't impact your credit score. If you accept your rate and proceed with your application, we will make a hard credit inquiry to verify your information. This action will be recorded as a hard inquiry on your report and it may impact your credit score.
What are the interest rates on a personal loan?All personal loans through Upstart offer a fixed interest rate and range between 4.6% - 35.99%.⁶ The rate you qualify for is based on various factors including your education⁴, work experience, and credit history. As a reminder, the interest rate is only one factor of the cost of the loan. The total cost of your loan is reflected in the APR (annual percentage rate), which is the annual cost of a loan that includes both interest rate and all other associated fees.
See what you can save with a personal loan through Upstart
Won't affect your credit score¹
More personalized loan options
1. When you check your rate, we check your credit report. This initial (soft) inquiry will not affect your credit score. If you accept your rate and proceed with your application, we do another (hard) credit inquiry that will impact your credit score. If you take out a loan, repayment information may be reported to the credit bureaus.
2. If you accept your loan by 5pm EST (not including weekends or holidays), your funds will be sent on the next business day. Loans used to fund education related expenses are subject to a 3 business day wait period between loan acceptance and funding in accordance with federal law.
3. As of December 31, 2021, and based on a comparison between the Upstart model and a traditional credit-score only model. The APR calculation compares the two models based on the average APR offered to borrowers up to the same approval rate. The hypothetical credit-score only model used in Upstart's analysis was developed in connection with the CFPB No Action Letter access-to-credit testing program and was built from a traditional credit score only model trained on Upstart platform data. APR for the scorecard was averaged for each given traditional credit score grouping.
4. Neither Upstart nor its bank partners have a minimum educational attainment requirement in order to be eligible for a loan.
5. Your loan amount will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will qualify for the full amount. Minimum loan amounts vary by state.
6. The full range of available rates varies by state. A representative example of payment terms for a Personal Loan is as follows: a borrower receives a loan of $10,000 for a term of 60 months, with an interest rate of 18.44% and a 8.64% origination fee of $864, for an APR of 22.88%. In this example, the borrower will receive $9136 and will make 60 monthly payments of $257. APR is calculated based on 5-year rates offered in March 2023. There is no downpayment and no prepayment penalty. Your APR will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will be approved.
7. As of 3/31/2023, across the entire Upstart marketplace.
All loans are originated by lending partners on the Upstart marketplace.