Why choose Upstart for your home improvement loan?
Our online process makes it easy to get a home renovation loan. Fix a leaky roof, remodel your kitchen, or update your backyard—we're here to help make your home a dream home.
Flexible loan amounts
Choose an amount for a home improvement loan between $1,000 and $50,000.⁴
Term period options
Your home, your term. Decide between a 3 or 5 year term⁵ for your home improvement loan.
No collateral required
Get funds without putting collateral down with an unsecured⁶ home improvement loan.
We've helped more than 2.4 million customers⁷
SMG used a Home Improvement loan to create the home of his dreams⁸
"The process is fast and seamless. I didn't miss a beat completing my home renovation loan. I would definitely use this company again"
Apply for a home improvement loan online in 3 steps
Check your rate
Check your rate in minutes— without affecting your credit score.¹
Choose your loan
Select your desired home improvement loan amount and preferred loan term.
99% of funds are sent just 1 business day after signing.²
Home renovation loan FAQs
What is a home improvement loan?A home improvement loan is a type of personal loan you can use to get funds for home repairs and projects. Upstart and many lenders typically offer unsecured loans for home improvement, which means you don't need to back up your loan with collateral.
What can I use a home improvement loan for?A home improvement loan can be used for expenses related to many different types of home repairs or projects. If you pay off your home improvement project and you have some of your loan funds leftover, you can use the funds for other bills or you can add it onto your loan's next monthly payment to pay it off faster.
You can use a home improvement loan to remodel a kitchen, add a bathroom, expand a room, repair a deck, replace a roof, install solar panels or whatever else you dream up!
How do home improvement loans work?If you're unsure about how the home improvement loan process works, check it out below:
1. Check your options and get your rate. We'll ask you some questions you can answer in a matter of minutes. Details we'll need include the loan amount, loan purpose, your full name, date of birth, address, and email.
2. After you submit the information above, we'll find you options you qualify for. Then, you can select the amount, term, and rate that fit your financial needs.
3. Next, we'll ask you to submit a loan application with more information about you and your bank account so we can validate it. Unlike some lenders, we consider more than your credit score to determine whether you'll qualify for a home remodel loan. Additional factors we consider include your education⁹ and employment.
4. After you've accepted the final terms of the loan agreement, we'll start working on approving and funding your loan. You could get funded in as fast as 1 business day.²
How much can I borrow with a home repair loan?Upstart offers low-interest, fixed-rate home improvement loans between $1,000 - $50,000⁴ for home renovation projects to customers.
Can I get a home improvement loan with no equity?Home equity is the amount of your home that you own. If you don't have home equity, but you need funds for a home remodel project, apply for an unsecured⁶ personal loan for home improvements. Upstart's platform offers unsecured home improvement loans that give you the power to tackle all of your home improvement needs, regardless of your equity.
Is a home improvement loan the right option for me?It’s a great choice if you need some money to help you fund a home repair or project. If you'd like to consider other options like a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC), learn more with our guide here.
What are the benefits of a home improvement loan through Upstart?- Quick and simple online application
- Fixed interest rates
- Predictable monthly payments
- Direct deposit for funds
Check your home improvement loan rate in as little as 5 minutes
1. When you check your rate, we check your credit report. This initial (soft) inquiry will not affect your credit score. If you accept your rate and proceed with your application, we do another (hard) credit inquiry that will impact your credit score. If you take out a loan, repayment information may be reported to the credit bureaus.
2. If you accept your loan by 5pm EST (not including weekends or holidays), your funds will be sent on the next business day. Loans used to fund education related expenses are subject to a 3 business day wait period between loan acceptance and funding in accordance with federal law.
3. As of December 31, 2021, and based on a comparison between the Upstart model and a traditional credit-score only model. The APR calculation compares the two models based on the average APR offered to borrowers up to the same approval rate. The hypothetical credit-score only model used in Upstart's analysis was developed in connection with the CFPB No Action Letter access-to-credit testing program and was built from a traditional credit score only model trained on Upstart platform data. APR for the scorecard was averaged for each given traditional credit score grouping.
4. Your loan amount will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will qualify for the full amount. Minimum loan amounts vary by state: GA ($3,100), HI ($2,100), MA ($7,000), NM ($5,100), OH ($6,000).
5. The full range of available rates varies by state. The average 5-year loan offered across all lenders using the Upstart platform will have an APR of 25.05% and 60 monthly payments of $25.80 per $1,000 borrowed. For example, the total cost of a $10,000 loan would be $15,478 including a $804 origination fee. APR is calculated based on 5-year rates offered in June 2022. There is no down payment and no prepayment penalty. Your APR will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will be approved.
6. While most loans through Upstart are unsecured, certain lenders may place a lien on other accounts you hold with the same institution. It is important to review your promissory note for these details before accepting your loan.
7. As of 6/30/2022, across the entire Upstart marketplace.
8. Images are not actual customers, but their stories are real.
9. Neither Upstart nor its bank partners have a minimum educational attainment requirement in order to be eligible for a loan.