Why choose Upstart for your online medical loan?
With a medical loan, you can access the funds you need for elective and emergency procedures.
A smarter loan
We look beyond your credit score, using your education⁴ and work experience to find you the rate you deserve.
Fixed rates and terms
Choose between medical loans in 3 or 5 year terms, with fixed interest rates of 5.40% - 35.99%.⁵
No prepayment fees
You can prepay your medical loan at any time with no fee or penalty.
We've helped more than 2.1M customers⁶
Donna got the care she needed with a medical loan in March 2022⁷
"It was quick and easy to get the loan I desperately needed quickly to pay for medical treatment. It was fast and efficient. I highly recommend Upstart."
Get a medical loan online in 3 easy steps
Check your medical loan rate
Check your rate in minutes— without affecting your credit score.¹
Select your terms
Select your desired loan amount and preferred loan term.
99% of funds are sent just 1 business day after signing.²
Medical loan FAQs
What is a medical loan?A medical loan is a kind of personal loan that you can use for medical expenses. They are also commonly known as healthcare loans, surgery loans, or copay loans. Typically available through banks and online platforms, medical loans are often unsecured loans, meaning you aren’t required to back them up with collateral.
What can I use a medical loan for?You can use a medical loan for any out-of-pocket medical costs that you’re unable to pay upfront. With a medical loan through us, you can use your funds for emergency hospital bills, planned medical procedures, and elective procedures.
Pro tip: If you already have loans for medical procedures, you could consolidate them into a single personal loan to help make your debt payments easier to handle.
Can I use my credit card for my medical expenses?You can use credit cards to pay for medical expenses, but it may not always make the most financial sense. Because credit cards generally have higher interest rates compared to personal loans, using a credit card might cost you more in the long run.
Also, credit card payments can vary from month to month, making it hard to save money. Medical loans have fixed monthly payments, which means no surprises.
Will a medical loan lower my credit score?When you check your rate, we will do a soft credit check to determine what you’re eligible for. If you qualify for a medical loan and you accept the offer and rate, we will perform a hard credit check to verify your information. When we perform a hard credit inquiry, your credit score may lower slightly for a short period of time.
Why should I get a medical loan?We understand that handling medical debt can be stressful and emotional, which is why we strive to make the process as easy as possible. With a medical loan through Upstart, you can also expect:
- No prepayment penalty
- Quick rate quote
- Predictable monthly payments
- Simple online application
- Fixed interest rates
- Direct deposit for funds
1. When you check your rate, we check your credit report. This initial (soft) inquiry will not affect your credit score. If you accept your rate and proceed with your application, we do another (hard) credit inquiry that will impact your credit score. If you take out a loan, repayment information may be reported to the credit bureaus.
2. If you accept your loan by 5pm EST (not including weekends or holidays), your funds will be sent on the next business day. Loans used to fund education related expenses are subject to a 3 business day wait period between loan acceptance and funding in accordance with federal law.
3. Your loan amount will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will qualify for the full amount. Minimum loan amounts vary by state: GA ($3,100), HI ($2,100), MA ($7,000), NM ($5,100), OH ($6,000).
4. Neither Upstart nor its bank partners have a minimum educational attainment requirement in order to be eligible for a loan.
5. The full range of available rates varies by state. The average 5-year loan offered across all lenders using the Upstart platform will have an APR of 24.74% and 60 monthly payments of $26.35 per $1,000 borrowed. For example, the total cost of a $10,000 loan would be $15,808 including a $591 origination fee. APR is calculated based on 5-year rates offered in April 2022. There is no down payment and no prepayment penalty. Your APR will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will be approved.
6. As of 4/1/2022.
7. Images are not actual customers, but their stories are real.