About the Role
Upstart is using machine learning and data science to answer the question why so many people that should have access to credit don’t. We’re constantly developing new algorithms to solve this challenge and working on our product to make getting credit easier and faster for our customers. We’ve already achieved tremendous success but we still have a ton of exciting challenges ahead and need a skilled Product Manager that can create new vision for our product and execute on that vision. Up until now, our engineering team and Co-Founder have been running product management and we’re ready to launch the PM function We have our first Product Manager coming on board soon and we still need 1-3 more strong PM’s that will enjoy working in a fast paced and collaborative environment that knows how to organize people and ideas, execute initiatives, and manage projects simultaneously.
Here is a bit more about what success looks like in this role:
- Takes ownership of a part of our products and effectively gets things done without direction.
- Fully own a product area which includes tracking product changes, form hypotheses, and drive feature improvements and launches
- Build consensus between team members on product vision and definition
- Work with engineering to define features, timeline and quality-control
- Project manage features from idea to launch while still deeply understanding the needs of our users and business holistically.
- Work closely with operations and engineering to build products our customers and investors find easy to use.
- Be a product champion and build effective relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally.
- Provide in-depth analysis from multiple sources, including customer feedback, to create business cases and product design to feed into the roadmap.
- Own and create feature specification documents that strive for design perfection while achieving project goals and deadlines.
- Drive development and roll out of multiple complex projects concurrently, including managing scope, priorities, and timelines; tracking results against goals; and nurturing pilot customers.
What we’re looking for in a Product Manager:
- 2+ years of Product Management experience with a technical product and proficiency in being able to spec and prioritize features.
- Technically minded and skills that can be demonstrated by either product management in a technology company or technical degree.
- Proven success taking a product from inception design to launch which includes ability to gather information and product requirements from internal departments and external resources to figure out what we need to build to have the best product in the market.
- Proactive and tenacious drive for results.
- Intellectual humility that enables you to solicit ideas from others to get to the best solution.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills ensuring that we’re clear to our engineers about what needs to get built.
- A track record of excellence and achievement.
- Rigorous, organized and creative approach to problem solving
If you applied recently to our linkedin posting, or another avenue, there's no need to apply again.
Upstart is the first lending platform to leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to price credit and automate the borrowing process. ~80% of U.S. borrowers pay back their loans, yet only ~45% of these people have access to prime credit. Our engineering team uses non-conventional variables at scale in an underwriting model that improves constantly to solve this problem. Upstart was founded by three diverse leaders that bring their individual approach to Upstart creating a culture where “we get to the truth, move fast, and bring everyone in.” Based in San Carlos, CA, Upstart is backed by Google Ventures, KPCB, Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt, and Mark Cuban.
Perks and Benefits:
Unlimited vacation days so you can take time off when you need it.
Dog friendly. Bring your furry friends to work. Our Pupstart dogs are a part of our family. Dogs at the office!
Affinity Group and Company events. Women’s groups, book clubs, rugby teams, basketball teams, Spartan race teams, badminton teams, and so much more! We also have weekly company meetings to encourage transparency.
Fully-stocked micro kitchen. We have food for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. You’ll never go hungry.
Technology reimbursement. You’ll have a budget to get whatever equipment you think you need to be productive.
Uber4 Business. Our office is located between San Carlos and Redwood City trains and our Uber4Business account will help you get to or from these stations with no expense to you.
Personal development budget. We’ll give you a budget to spend towards promoting your career or health. In addition, we give additional money to our teams to encourage learning and development.
Monthly reimbursement for cell phone