Media Relations Associate
Upstart is looking for an energetic Media Relations Associate to add value to our Communications team. In this role, you will be a critical member of the team telling Upstart’s story to the world. Upstart’s mission -- to enable effortless credit based on true risk -- will come alive in your conversations with reporters and drive coverage of our business. Your work will be highly visible across the company, impacting not just Upstart’s core consumer-facing business, but also its emergent SaaS offering.
Here's more about what you'll be doing:
- Raise awareness of Upstart’s mission and business by proactively educating reporters, influencers and other external parties. Build strong media relationships with a wide range of business/financial, consumer and tech reporters.
- Continuously pitch ideas that tell the key aspects of Upstart’s story to a broad range of media outlets. Opportunistically weave Upstart and/or Upstart’s point of view into industry memes and news cycles.
- Manage Upstart’s social media channels. Measure and analyze the success of each platform and iterate to improve social media impact over time.
- Identify and secure opportunities for Upstart executives to speak at appropriate conferences and events; quarterback applications for awards and other public accolades.
- Help develop and write content for blog posts, op-eds and other public presentations.
- Maintain and expand media/influencer database and CRM system (Cision).
Here's what we're looking for:
- High-energy media relations maven with a passion for pitching technology and business stories. Expert in using social media to amplify PR efforts.
- 5-8 years experience doing PR at a technology company, preferably in a high-growth or start-up environment.
- Able to leverage existing (and cultivate new) relationships with reporters and influencers across tech, business and consumer publications.
- Skilled at telling innovative business stories and educating reporters about a new/undefined category. Able to grasp complex technical and financial concepts and make them accessible to diverse audiences.
- Familiarity with the lending/credit industry is helpful, but not essential for success.
- Strong writer able to adopt the style, tone and voice of our company.
- Independent self-starter with a strong sense of ownership and urgency. Able to meet deadlines while handling shifting priorities.