Capital Markets Analyst
Upstart is the first lending platform to leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to price credit and automate the borrowing process. ~80% of U.S. borrowers pay back their loans, yet only ~45% of these people have access to prime credit. Our engineering team uses non-conventional variables at scale in an underwriting model that improves constantly to solve this problem. Upstart was founded by three diverse leaders that bring their individual approach to Upstart creating a culture where “we get to the truth, move fast, and bring everyone in.” Based in San Carlos, CA, Upstart is backed by Google Ventures, KPCB, Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt, and Mark Cuban.
Upstart is growing rapidly and we need an analytically minded and self-motivated Capital Markets Analyst to take ownership of many aspects of the investor side of our business. You will have a front row seat to deal making and investor relations because you will be responsible for developing and implementing unique investor strategies between Upstart and its retail and institutional investors. You'll be fostering relationships with our investors and participate in their expansion. As part of an early stage team, you will have the opportunity to help shape the future of the department and carry a huge degree of responsibility. If you've worked in banking or accounting in a large firm and decided that you want something more entrepreneurial where you can rise quickly as the company rises, this could be the right opportunity for you.
Here is more about what you'll be doing:
- Managing a sales pipeline including daily interaction with prospective institutional investors
- Synthesize data and reports for investors
- Overseeing investor due diligence, collect necessary data and structure deals.
- Actively involved in constructing warehouse financing and securitization deals
- Supporting/managing the investor onboarding process
- Managing relations with existing investors on the platform
- Leading and developing analyses and presentations to market Upstart to institutional investors, family offices, and high net worth individuals
Here is what we're looking for:
- 1+ year of experience in investment banking or public accounting firm is strongly desired.
- Experience in capital markets and familiarity with the marketplace lending and related capital markets and securitization transactions is a plus.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Ability and desire to interact with, and relate to, sophisticated investors
- A self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure, thrive working under limited direction, and an attitude that no job is too challenging or too small
Capital Markets Manager - Securitizations
Upstart is looking for a Capital Markets Manager who will drive the structure, execution, and surveillance of our securitization program and lending arrangements. This person will need to have a good understanding of financial markets and develop an understanding of the company’s assets and financing vehicles. He/She should have a thorough understanding of discounted cash flow analysis and the ability to apply financial modeling techniques to consumer loan portfolios and financing instruments. The Manager will need to develop an understanding of the laws and regulations governing unsecured consumer loans. He/She will interact regularly with external clients, service providers, and internal constituents.
The Capital Markets Manager will have a huge degree of responsibility and the opportunity to rise quickly within the organization. This position will report directly to the Head of Capital Markets.
- Develop Upstart’s securitization platform, focusing on structure, execution, and programmatic issuance.
- Enhance the Institutional Investor, Bank partnership and Rating Agency relationships
- Works closely with finance and legal to expand our footprint in the structured products space
- Identify opportunities to enhance and improve team processes, procedures, surveillance, and reporting.
- Active participation in the overall operation of the institutional investor platform.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in Structured Products and Securitization Structuring.
- Familiarity with marketplace lending and related securitization transactions.
- Financial analysis and modeling skills
- Combination of academic aptitude, quantitative skills, and personal motivation
- Excellence in working effectively as an individual and as part of a team, and an ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Enthusiasm for a high-paced, team-oriented start-up environment
- Willingness to work in a demanding and collaborative environment
- Sense of personal accountability and urgency for achieving results