Founded by ex-Googlers, Upstart goes beyond the FICO score to finance people based on signals of their potential, including schools attended, area of study, academic performance, and work history. Our proprietary underwriting model identifies high quality borrowers despite limited credit and employment experience. Funds can be used for almost anything, including starting a business, paying for a coding bootcamp, eliminating student debt or paying off credit cards.
- Dave founded Upstart after 8 years at Google where he was President of Google Enterprise and VP of Apps. Dave graduated from Dartmouth College with an AB in Engineering Sciences and a BE in Computer Engineering. He also received an MBA from the Ross School at the University of Michigan with High Distinction.
- Paul is a co-founder of Upstart and pioneered Upstart’s statistical models to predict income and employment. Paul’s background is in quantitative finance - he began to profitably trade at the age of 20, and previously worked in risk analysis at the D.E. Shaw Group. He has been recognized as one of Peter Thiel’s 20 under 20 Fellows and Silicon Valley Business Journal’s 40 under 40. Paul studied economics and computer science at Yale University.
- Anna co-founded Upstart after 5 years at Google where she ran global Enterprise Customer Programs and Gmail Consumer Operations. Previously, Anna held a variety of operations roles at McMaster Carr and several startups. Anna graduated Summa Cum Laude from Boston University with a BA in Finance and Entrepreneurship.
- Alison spent the last 10 years at innovative financial services companies, including a start-up in the prepaid card space and most recently at PayPal managing their North America legal team. She got her law degree from the University of Glasgow (in Scotland), and her Masters of Law from Columbia Law School.
- Jeff spent 6 years at Google where he launched and ran the Google Apps for Education business and supported Google’s overall Enterprise business. Prior to Google, Jeff worked at IBM and led the UI engineering team at SSB Technologies. Jeff has a BS in Computer Systems Engineering from Stanford University.
- Jonathan joins Upstart from Google, where he helped develop and launch the Knowledge Graph on Google Search. Prior to Google, he served as CTO of an online apparel company that he founded with high school friends. Jonathan is a Yale University graduate with a BS in Computer Science.
- Cindy joins Upstart with over 7 years of operations experience including more than 5 years at Google in Enterprise operations. Following Google she managed the sales support team at The Climate Corporation. Cindy is a Boston University graduate with a BA in Management Information Systems and Finance.
- Vishal joined Upstart after receiving his BA in Economics from Yale. During college, he worked as an analyst with Altman Vilandrie & Company, a boutique consulting firm specializing in tech, media, and telecom. He also spent a summer working with the SoundTracking team as part of True Ventures’ summer fellowship program.
- Jenny joins Upstart after working as a UI designer and front-end developer at FamilyLeaf. She previously spent 2 years at Google working in rich media advertising. Jenny has a BFA in Fine Arts and BA in Information Science from Cornell University, and a MFA in Computer Art from the School of Visual Arts.
- Brigitte joins Upstart from Sparkpr where she developed, implemented, and analyzed PR and marketing campaigns for a variety of innovative clients. Previously, she worked for Kiva where she was responsible for their blog and social media content and strategy. Brigitte is a Northeastern University graduate with a BS in Psychology and Political Science.
- Andrew joins Upstart with over 9 years of experience in software engineering. Prior to Upstart he was at Microsoft, and helped to develop the Mediaroom TV platform. Andrew moved to the US from Ukraine after he spent 7 years at innovative software companies. Andrew received his BS in Mathematics and Computer Science from the Kharkiv National University of Radioelectronics.
- Ryan joins Upstart after 10 years as an institutional investor, most recently as an Investment Officer with the Fairfax County Retirement System and a Sector Analyst and the Director of Public Policy at Passport Capital LLC. Prior to that he worked at E*TRADE, which he joined upon the acquisition of the company he founded. He holds a B.A. degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, holds the CFA and CAIA charters and is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive).
- Simon joins Upstart after earning his Master’s in Mathematics at SUNY Binghamton. While there, he scaled his department’s online homework/exam system to manage more than 1000 students per semester. Simon received his bachelor’s degree (also in Mathematics) from Knox College.
- Viraj joins Upstart after earning his PhD in Mathematics from UCLA, where he conducted research at the intersection of commutative algebra and algebraic K-theory. Viraj also holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied Mathematics and Physics and developed software for scientific research.
- George joins Upstart from Virginia where he was a front end developer at Dominion Enterprises. He is a self taught coder who graduated from Old Dominion University with a major in graphic design.
- Neha joins Upstart from Credit Suisse, where she worked as an Equity Research Analyst covering the Internet sector. Neha graduated from MIT with a BS in Management Science.
- Andrew joins Upstart and the Bay Area after five years at Jefferies in New York where he was most recently a Vice President in ETF Trading. He is a California native, a fitness nut, and an active member of Minds Matter. Andrew earned his B.S.E. in Bioengineering from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Brian joins Upstart with over 10 years of experience in various software engineer roles, ranging from non-profit healthcare to adtech. He most recently worked with the San Francisco 49ers, helping to make their new stadium become the most technologically advanced sporting venue ever. He holds dual degrees in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science and Philosophy from the University of California, Berkeley.
- Ben had 8 years of operations experience at Google in the Enterprise team. Most recently he managed a global support organization for Google Apps. Before Google, he worked at RSA and Logitech. Ben is a Pomona College graduate with a BA in Mathematical Economics.
- Grant joins Upstart after earning his Ph.D. in Statistics from The Ohio State University, where his research involved developing a method called "Sequential Kriging-Based Optimization" used for maximum likelihood estimation of discretely-observed stochastic differential equations. A decade-long Buckeye, he also earned his Bachelor's degree in Finance and Honors Accounting at Ohio State.
- Natalia joined Upstart after spending 10 years at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) where she provided Assurance services to a range of private and public companies in the Financial Services space. Natalia holds a Master's degree in Economics from Moscow State University and a Master of Accountancy degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in California.
- Christine joins Upstart after working at Goldman Sachs and her family business. Prior to that she worked at Passport Capital LLC and on Capitol Hill. Christine earned a B.A. and a B.B.A. from the University of Texas at Austin, an M.P.P. from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School.
- Kate joins the Upstart team after working as a project manager for a law firm providing real estate law services. Kate has a BS in Management from Georgia Tech.
- Alex joins Upstart after working at iCrossing, where he managed large scale digital marketing campaigns for Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 clients. He graduated from UCSB with dual degrees in International Studies and Slavic Literature.
- Brandon joins Upstart with over 7 years of experience in predictive modeling. He most recently worked at a quantitative finance firm in Chicago. He grew up in Hawaii and graduated from MIT with a B.S. in EE and an M. Eng. in EECS.
- Kyle graduated from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a BA in Accounting and is a Certified Public Accountant in California. He spent the past 6 years at Enterprise Holdings in the Business Management Department.
- Former Governor, Nebraska
- Co-Founder, Kiva
- Serial Entrepreneur
- Executive Chairman, Google
- Owner, Dallas Mavericks
- Founder & CEO, Salesforce
- Founder & CEO, Trilogy
- Founder, IronPort