People Operations Leader
About the Opportunity:
Upstart grew 4x this past year and we’re in the middle of a high growth year again. In order to reach our company goals, we’ll need to add a self-motivated HR professional that can play a senior role on our HR team to support our talent. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced People Operations Manager to work on a variety of HR initiatives and use your strengths to match those initiatives such as developing processes, implementing systems, compensation, onboarding and employee engagement.
Everyone at Upstart supports HR and want to help! The success of an effective HR program doesn’t fall on just you and you’ll have many enthusiastic managers and employees to support initiatives you champion. We have a lot of exciting projects for someone to work on, so the work (and title) will partly depend on the quarter and your strengths
Here is what you’ll be doing:
- Implement and support HR programs, processes and initiatives such as on boarding, compensation, and benefit education.
- Lead activities to maintain a healthy and productive work environment, such as proactively building relationships with employees, and resolving employee relations issues.
- Lead health benefit trainings for new employees and for announcing changes in health benefits.
- Develop an “intranet” site to house our benefits and policies.
- Research tools and stay up on best practices on creating an easier way for our employees to get the resources they need.
- Manage our leave program including educating future parents on leave benefits.
- Build relationships with managers to ensure their confident and trust in the HR team so that you’re their support to offer ideas or resources they need to thrive successfully in their roles.
- Edit and implement company wide policies.
- Contribute to maintaining analytics on HR areas and look for ways to make use of the analytics. \
- Manage 1-2 people in people operations.
- Proactively engage with our employees to understand their needs, resolve conflicts, unblock their challenges and get them what they need to perform at their best.
- Process immigration paperwork (by guidance of attorneys) and liaise with new employees as needed regarding their immigration process.
- Project management (or participant) of selecting a new PEO or bringing HR ops in house.
- Report to the Head of People.
About Who We’re Looking for:
- 5+ years human resources experience with knowledge in general human resources in either people operations, benefits, and/or compensation.
- BA/BS degree required. Additional HR certifications and degrees are a plus but not required.
- Experience managing people.
- Comfort in dealing with employee conflict, sensitive issues, and absorbing (and not sharing) confidential information.
- Experience with benefit and compensation systems (Radford, Bamboo, Namely, ADP).
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate others.
- Someone that “bleeds teal” which means you’ll embody the Upstart values and represent Upstart in a positive and professional manner
- Strong project management skills and proven organizational skills and the ability to succeed in a fast paced environment.
- Experience managing a PEO, implementing a PEO or managing benefit operations directly highly preferred.
- Proven ability to take initiative, think on your feet, and make well thought through and fast decisions.
- Experience building relationships with employees, managers, and other peers.
- A track record of demonstrating a strong work ethic, integrity and personal accountability.
Talent Acquisition Coordinator
Upstart grew 4x this past year and we plan to do it again. In order to do so, we need a self-motivated Talent Acquisition Coordinator that can help recruit the best talent while making the process smooth and enjoyable for both our candidates and hiring team. As a Talent Acquisition Coordinator in our People team, you’ll use your super organizational skills in all aspects of recruiting from scheduling interviews, meeting with candidates, and implementing sourcing strategies to keep the pipeline moving quickly. You’ll also get the opportunity to get involved in recruiting events and our onboarding process ensuring our employees have the tools and resources they need to succeed. Since we plan to grow tremendously in the upcoming years, this is a phenomenal opportunity to roll up your sleeves into the people function and grow into either a Talent Operations role or a Recruiter role in the future.
Here’s more about what you’ll be doing:
- Be an active participant in recruitment strategy meetings to understand the needs of the hiring team. Offer ideas and insight to how we can meet our deadlines
- Successfully source candidates through online sources and our Greenhouse system
- Research creative recruitment techniques aimed to increase candidate flow
- Develop on boarding processes and follow through with on boarding tasks without anything falling through the cracks.
- Partner with Recruiters to provide a positive candidate experience from initial phone call to onboarding
- Take ownership of the onsite interview process making sure the candidates feel welcomed and excited about the Upstart opportunity
- Utilize our applicant tracking system - Greenhouse - to keep our requisitions and candidate pipeline up to date and accurate
- Exceed hiring manager expectations by providing consistent follow up and proactively creating reports and data for them so that they can make educated decisions about their hiring
- Manage candidate travel and reimbursements. Provide exceptional follow up to these matters
- Represent the people function in a positive and professional manner by facing challenges with an optimistic approach and exhibiting excitement about Upstart’s future
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, HR or related degree
- 1+ year of experience in recruiting operations
- Previous experience with scheduling or calendaring is preferred
- Proven ability to stay organized, prioritize workload, and execute with great attention to detail
- Confident demeanor and ability to communicate across all levels across the organization in a professional and friendly manner
- Engaging approach that can easily connect with Upstart employees and candidates
- Ability to take initiative and make decisions quickly in a fast-paced, somewhat ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated ability to keep information confidential
- Self-motivated and comfortable working remote since your manager may or may not be in office with you. Will be working in tandem with our San Carlos office