Backend Software Engineer
Do you love writing algorithms and architecting service-oriented systems? As a backend engineer at Upstart, you will be responsible for owning business-critical processes that must be highly available and scalable. You'll play a major role in designing our ecosystem of interacting applications, making major architecture decisions, and getting your hands dirty by writing APIs. You'll get to dive into our data model and work on algorithms powering our investment and financial platforms.
- 2+ years of backend/systems development, ideally in the context of web applications
- Experience building reliable, robust, and scalable systems
- Experience with Python and related frameworks
Do you love building infrastructure to move and analyze large volumes of data? Do you want to work for a company whose success depends on its ability to efficiently make sense of data? As a data engineer at Upstart, you'll be responsible for architecting systems to move, store, transform, and analyze large amounts of data, including financial and business data. You'll have an outsized impact on the productivity of the entire engineering and data science team and directly contribute to Upstart's core competitive advantage.
- Experience building large-scale data pipelines and warehousing solutions
- Experience with technologies like S3, Redshift, Spark, and Hadoop
- Ability to evaluate the scale of data problems and determine the optimal solutions for those problems
Full Stack Software Engineer
Are you an engineer with strong technical problem solving skills, excellent communication skills, and a desire to learn and take on responsibility? We're hiring! You will be responsible for working on all aspects of the Upstart platform, from our data prediction model to our backend financial platform, to our web interfaces and 3rd party API integrations. You'll enjoy significant autonomy in architecting systems, writing algorithms, and crafting elegant user interfaces.
- 2+ years of full-stack web development
- Experience with web frameworks (Ruby on Rails preferred)
Head of Information Security
Upstart is a FinTech startup whose core competency is using non-traditional data to make smarter lending decisions. As a result, we manage a significant amount of personal and financial data and take extraordinary measures to protect that data. At the same time, our success depends on moving quickly, so we must exercise creativity and resourcefulness in designing policies and practices that permit speed. As Head of Information Security, you will be responsible for architecting and managing company-wide information security policies, with a special emphasis on engineering policies such as change management and data security. You will work across teams to help identify and prioritize information security risks. You will work closely with Engineering, Legal, and Compliance to design policies that balance the needs of multiple internal stakeholders. You will play an integral role in project management by incorporating information security risk assessment into new processes and products. And you will help Upstart successfully navigate IT audits, such as SOC1, SOC2, and ISO audits, by understanding and spearheading the implementation of IT policies and controls, while serving as the primary point person for auditors and other external partners.
- Establish and enforce company-wide information security policies
- Manage IT and security-related audits and assessments, specifically SOC and ISO audits
- Serve as internal consultant and subject matter expert for security policies across teams
- Work with team leads in understanding and prioritizing security risks
- Develop and administer security policy training for all employees
- Ability to define and implement a comprehensive information security program at a fast-moving, security-conscious startup
- Experience conducting IT audits at an auditing firm
- Preferable: experience in finance or banking industry
- Familiarity with technical implementation of information security controls for cloud-based companies
- Ability to work cross-functionally across engineering, compliance, operations, and finance