Our compliance team plays a critical role in mitigating risk and protecting Upstart’s growth and success. We are looking for a someone that is passionate about numbers, enjoys reporting, loves analyzing metrics, and can take initiative to join Upstart as a Compliance Analyst. This role will have a major impact on the team because your effort will help us investigate root causes of issues and look for trends in our compliance metrics. In this role, you will being uses Lookr to pull up reports for consumer and government entities, look for key risk indicators and patterns, and examine the reports for a peak or change in our metrics.
Someone that will be successful in this role is solutions oriented, determined, and obsessed with detail. You’ll be a key performer in identifying risk and developing new processes. If you share our passion for building innovative technology while ensuring consumer protection, this could be the role for you.
Conduct monthly quality assurance reviews on originated and declined files
Conduct quarterly compliance review on specific areas (SCRA, FCRA, ECOA)
Conduct ongoing call monitoring and provide feedback to operations team
Investigate and report on suspicious activity
Track compliance KRIs and report to management on an ongoing basis
Other special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years experience in the financial services industry in a compliance or operational capacity
- Organized and able to juggle multiple tasks while still meeting deadlines
- Experience working in the compliance function of a financials services company, with knowledge of some or all federal
- consumer protection regulations a plus
- Data and metrics driven
- Well suited to, and excited by, a startup environment - Possess a self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure, and to work independently. Have a strong sense of personal accountability, and attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive while working independently
- Spanish language proficiency is a plus but not required. We would like one of our next few hires on the team to speak Spanish.
We will be posting a Compliance Associate or Manager role too. The manager of the team will be reviewing resumes for all of these, so please apply once to the job that is the best fit for you.
Legal Counsel - Capital Markets
Upstart is looking for an attorney with Capital Markets experience to join our growing legal team as a Legal Counsel. This role will give you the chance to work across the entire Upstart business while being focused on our capital market products. You will get involved in negotiating transaction documents, assisting with corporate finance transactions and general corporate transactions.
As a fin-tech company operating in a heavily regulated space, you will handle a wide array of complex issues including securities regulation, IP, and tax issues. There will often be issues that have never existed before, and you will have the creativity and confidence to tackle ambiguity and craft innovative legal arrangements, with a critical eye toward risk and a deep appreciation of the need to preserve and build upon Upstart’s reputation and credibility with regulators, investors and customers.
Here is what you'll be doing on a day to day basis:
- Drafting, review and negotiation of all transaction documents related to loan sales, securitizations, warehouse facilities and platform investments
- Assisting with corporate financing transactions and corporate housekeeping matters; and special projects, as needed.
- J.D. degree with superior academic credentials and a state bar membership (and eligible to register as an in-house counsel in CA if not primarily licensed there);
- 2+ years of experience in a top-tier law firm and/or an in-house legal dept;
- Familiarity with various species of corporate finance, including bank borrowing, whole loan sales, warehouse structures, term asset-backed securities (ABS) and other structured finance transactions and working knowledge of securities, tax and financial services law applicable to the foregoing with an ability to fill in inevitable gaps in your and our learning;
- Experience working with/for a programmatic ABS issuer and insight into and experience with building systems and controls is a plus;
- Strong communication skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide quick, concise, and practical legal advice that is consistent with any business objectives;
- Excellent judgment with demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with legal, regulatory and business issues involving competing interests;
- A self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure, thrive working under limited direction, and an attitude that no job is too challenging or too small