Upstart is seeking a talented and motivated candidate to join our Compliance Team. We are looking for someone that shares our passion for consumer protection and innovative banking products. As a representative of the Compliance team, the ideal candidate effectively communicates and partners with each of the other departments in the business to drive company growth while ensuring a high degree of organizational ethics.
- Conduct regularly scheduled QA audits on certain aspects of the company’s compliance program
- Maintain employee compliance training records and ensure all employees meet minimum annual standards for compliance training
- Review consumer complaints and make improvement recommendations based on identified trends
- Review Upstart marketing collateral for compliance with consumer lending laws
- Assist with third party compliance audits and any associated remediation projects
- Other special projects as assigned
- 2+ years experience in the financial services industry in a compliance or operational capacity
- Knowledge of some or all applicable regulations FCRA, TILA, FDCPA, EFTA, BSA/AML, OFAC, GLBA
- Superior written and verbal communication with people of all backgrounds
- Demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with complex issues involving competing interests
- A self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure and a strong sense of personal accountability and ownership
- Strong commitment to both personal and company ethics
Legal Counsel (Capital Markets/Commercial)
Upstart is the first lending platform to leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to price credit and automate the borrowing process. ~80% of U.S. borrowers pay back their loans, yet only ~45% of these people have access to prime credit. Our engineering team uses non-conventional variables at scale in an underwriting model that improves constantly to solve this problem. Upstart was founded by three diverse leaders that bring their individual approach to Upstart creating a culture where “we get to the truth, move fast, and bring everyone in.” Based in San Carlos, CA, Upstart is backed by Google Ventures, KPCB, Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, First Round Capital, Eric Schmidt, and Mark Cuban.
Upstart is looking for a highly motivated, creative Legal Counsel with excellent judgment to join our legal team as its fourth member. As Legal Counsel, you will perform a broad range of work across the entire Upstart business, with a focus on capital market transactions. Your responsibilities will include drafting, review and negotiation of all transactions documents related to loan sales, securitizations, and platform investments; and special projects, as needed. As a fin-tech company operating in a heavily regulated space, with financial institutions and individual investors and consumers as our customers, you will be required to consider a wide array of complex and often novel legal issues including securities regulation, consumer protection, privacy and data protection, IP, and tax issues.
There will often be issues that have never existed before, and you will have the creativity and confidence to tackle ambiguity and craft innovative legal arrangements, with a critical eye towards risk and a deep appreciation of regulatory issues.
- J.D. degree with superior academic credentials and a state bar membership (CA or NY preferred)
- At least 3 years of experience in a top-tier law firm and/or an in-house legal dept;
- Familiarity with the marketplace lending, related capital markets, and securitization transactions and/or some or all applicable securities law, tax and financial services regulations;
- Strong communication skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively provide quick, concise, and practical legal advice that is consistent with any business objectives;
- Excellent judgment with demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with complex legal, regulatory and business issues involving competing interests;
- A self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure, thrive working under limited direction, and an attitude that no job is too challenging or too small;
- An ability and desire to develop expertise in new or unfamiliar areas of law